• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

migraine with aura

redsky1718

Bluelighter
has anyone out there experienced one of these? happened to me for the first time the other day and it was scary!

A migraine with aura comes with additional symptoms, which often begin about 30 minutes or less before the headache. These early symptoms are called a prodrome.The prodrome or aura may last for 5 to 20 minutes, or it may continue even after the headache subsides. Symptoms of aura include:

blind spots or scotomas
blindness in half of your visual field in one or both eyes (hemianopsia)
seeing zigzag patterns (fortification)
seeing flashing lights (scintilla)
feeling prickling skin (paresthesia)
weakness
seeing things that aren’t really there (hallucinations)

Other symptoms of migraine may include any of these:
nausea
vomiting
yawning
irritability
low blood pressure
feeling “hyper”
sensitivity to light, sounds, or motion
dark colors under the eyes

it started with zig zags then really bad headache then nausea,vomiting then dizzy and after that it was over. 1st time it's happened to me and i hope the last

Yeah, I've had that happen a few times. Often what will happen is that my visual field will appear 'cracked', of course accompanied with the pounding headache and miserable nausea. Usually happens at work. It is fascinating in hindsight, but miserable when it is happening.

1st time it's happened to me and i hope the last

Lol...good luck with that...

With me, when I used to get them, I'd get up to 2-3 a month for about 2-3 months.

Now that I've gotten older, I usually just get the aura without the headache, if that's any consolation :)

seeing zigzag patterns (fortification)

had that...thought that definitely my second migraine ever is coming but instead just had a minor headache

scary shit indeed

I got them while I was going through puberty a few times a week...

I would lose the vision in my left or right eye, my vision would tunnel out, things would sparkle etc. and 20 minutes later I'd be vomiting with the most painful feeling I had ever felt.

It sucks. Immitrex works well as a nasal spray and is effective if you get it in time.

Good luck.

Funny, because I get the aura the day before I get the headache, and it lasts for several hours, most of the time. I usually know I'll have a migraine the next day because it feels like someone dosed me up with a SMALL dose of LSD...just enough to make me notice that I'm "not quite right".

I've been getting migraines about once or twice a month for a couple years now. They suck.
Lucky, I don't actually vomit but I do get nauseated....If I take like 4 extra strength Tylenol I can make the pain bearable.

I get migraines very infrequently- like once or twice a year. And they are always preceded with the either the zig-zags or the flashing lights. That's actually a good thing for me because I know when those start appearing, I have about 20 minutes before the migraine hits. So I can get home and be ready for it.

My migraines are debilitating- nauseousness, sensitivity to light and sound, pounding pain. Only thing I can do is lay on a bed, curtains closed, pillow over my head, and wait it out. Sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes hours.

I've never had one that lasted less than 6 hours. Luckily they don't happen often.

Migraines are weird. Sometimes you can even get mini-migraines...
Has anyone else ever had one?

I used to get them maybe once a month. Visual disturbances several hours before (looked like a dark sky full of beautiful shooting stars). Then the intense pain, vomiting, sensitivity to light, sound. Could barely whisper myself, anything louder would cause me intense pain.

The only thing really is to go to bed in a dark, quiet room. Painkillers (once you've stopped vomiting) and a sleeping pill helped me. I'd fall asleep and the pain had subsided quite a bit when I woke up. I've even walked into walls and had to get down on the floor and crawl back to bed, no balance. I hate the stupid things.

Painkillers don't always work, sometimes they help but not always.
I had leftovers from my hydrocodone script. and that didn't even help one bit....

2 weeks ago I felt one coming on. Took a dose of heroin, and it went away immediately.
Had one all day today. Still have it, but it's winding down to the point where I can look at my computer screen. couldn't find any heroin today to fix it. Chills, sweating, hot flashes, prickly skin,Smells are extremely sharp and bother me. BO because I'm still too weak to take a shower
Earlier, sparkles, things in visual field zooming in and out.
It peaked while on a bike ride, went home, diarrhea, trying not to puke... Curled up on the floor,Blacked o ut from the pain for about an hour

had headaches in the past. never really thought much of them, got them few times a month to several times a year, clearly stress related. if i smoked pot till i feel asleep, headache was usually gone. But, I ended up on topamax, which treats migraines, to control binge eating. I noticed that all my headaches are like gone and these strange episodes, which were more common than headaches, which were auras, are mostly gone too. Go topamax!!!!